The UACES (Universities Association for Contemporary European Studies) Annual Conference 2024 will be taking place on 1-4 September 2024 in Trento, Italy. It will consist of a three-day in person conference in Trento, and a one-day virtual event (Monday 9 September 2024).
The call for papers is now open, and we’re hosting a themed track of EU health governance panels – join us!
Health and the European Union Themed track
‘Health and the European Union’ is a broad and topical theme concerned both with the EU’s involvement in/impact on health, and how health crises have shaped and are shaping the EU.
We welcome work – from across disciplines and methodologies – which engages with how the EU shapes health, and how EU activity in health is shaped by health crises. Some of the kinds of work that we hope to see presented in this track include (but are not limited to):
- How the EU’s focus on health may change with the new Commission mandate
- EU governance after/during Covid
- EU Health law and policy
- The EU as a Global Health actor
- The health implications of EU economic and fiscal governance
- The health implications of EU trade and/or Single Market (including, for example, in pharmaceuticals, but also in health-harming products such as tobacco)
- EU institutions, member states, and health
- Environmental health and the EU
We welcome papers from all disciplines, including law, public policy, sociology, economics, public health, global health etc., pertaining to any dimension of EU health governance.
If you are planning to submit a paper on a topic related to the above, and are interested in joining the EUHealthGov themed track, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 14 January.
Please send us:
- Paper title, keywords, and abstract of no more than 250 words
- Full name, email address and institution/organisation of all authors
- Indication of preference regarding face-to-face or virtual panel format
- Indication of whether you are an early-career researcher (student, PhD researcher or within 3 years of viva)
We will select from these and confirm inclusion by Wednesday 17 January, so that any unsuccessful submissions can be sent to the UACES general call ahead of the 21 January deadline.